Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Monday, 3/31/08 Reported By: Brooke

Today was the first day back from spring break.  We had a whole week off from school.  When I got to school, children were playing on the playground, and then the bell rang. All the students rushed to get in their class line.  The teachers came out to meet their students.  My class went up to Ms. Jensen's room.  We looked on the board and saw we should take out our privacy folders. Ms. Jensen said, "there is a test on your desk”, and then we took a religion  test.  When everybody was done, we corrected the test.  After that, we talked about a paper on the board called the "Classified". 

This was a newspaper that had jobs on it.  These were jobs we might think of doing.  One job I thought of doing was the patrol officer.  I would watch for law violators in the classroom.  We picked the 3 top jobs we wanted and then we filled out an application  for the job.  The money that we earned could be used to pay rent each month.   At the end of each month, we get to do a class auction. We buy stuff the class has brought in to sell.  Next, it was snack time.

After snack we finished filling out our applications.   Some jobs needed a letter of reference, so I wrote a letter to Ms. D, my 3rd grade teacher to ask if she thought this job was right for me. Finally it was lunch time. When we finished lunch, we got checkbooks. We learned how to deposit checks and money to the banker.  Since we didn't have a banker yet, we just gave them to Ms. Jensen.  Then we filled out our checkbooks with our first and last name and cut them out.  I think I was the first one to be done, and Ms. Jensen called me up to staple my checkbook.  I wrote my first and last name  on the cover. I wrote "Checkbook" using a marker.  We had $5.00 to spend.  After I wrote Ms. Jensen a check for $2.00, we got this paper to keep track of the checks we write.   Once that was done, Ms. Jensen said there were 5 applications for one job and 4 applications  for another. So we had to do interviews. We took out our agenda to see what day and time we would have our interviews.  Afterwards we talked about rent.

 Our rent would be $500 a month, and if we buy our chair and desk, that is considered our home, that would be $1500.   Later in the day, we talked about reading bingo and the vocabulary word of the week. We picked our words.  My word is "barge".  Then we packed up, got ready to go, and said goodbye to Ms. Jensen.  We learned about our jobs and useful ways to use our money today.  This was a fun way to start the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brooke you did a great job I love how you included our class jobs.